Goosebumps


I guess I could have come up with a creative title for this post, but I think in this case, just the word says it all.

Who knows how we got started with these little horror novels - maybe it was the library, maybe it was another kid, maybe it was one of those Scholastic Book Fairs. Whatever it is, I was hooked and I don't know anybody who wasn't.

I read all the ones I could get my hands on, getting my dad to buy them, borrowing, trading, whatever it took. It was my goal to read every single one, including the "Give Yourself Goosebumps" series, which were of the choose-your-own-adventure variety. Looking at this list of titles, though, I don't think I even came close, although I definitely made it through the majority of the early ones.

The original Goosebumps were published from 1992-1997, with several spinoffs coming soon after. There were also movies, games, and a TV series. I guess you could say that boys would have enjoyed these more than girls, but I don't think that's true. In fact, I remember it as one of the few series that wasn't directed at a specific gender (i.e. Nancy Drew vs. the Hardy Boys). Thanks for the unisex gore, R.L. Stine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment